Sunday 5 February 2012

Paper sculptures

For this exercise, everyone in my art class was told to create small paper models of figures. Because there was no template to follow, everyone's paper figures ended up looking completely different - some had huge heads, others had arms twice the length of their legs - but for this exercise, proportion and scale did not matter at all. In fact, I think the best thing about the exercise and creating a scenario with our different paper figures was the way in which everyone was forced to disregard proportion and scale due to our time limitations.

Because I  enjoyed the exercise so much, I continued to play around with the paper model I had made. My instinct was to place my little paper man in different situations around the house and photograph his interaction with different objects. I couldn't think of many places to put him so I stuck him in the fridge and had him sit on top of a peanut butter jar!



Then I began thinking about how I could alter the paper man himself. Paper is a great material because it's so versatile  - you can cut it, fold it, eat it - so I decided that I would cut into my paper sculpture in order to create a more interesting subject to photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment