Sunday 15 January 2012

Amorphous Shapes

I absolutely LOVE our new project in art. For the past two lessons, we have been looking at amorphous shapes (definition: adj. - without a clearly defined shape or form). To start with, we created out own amorphous patterns by splattering paint on a white piece of A3 paper and after the ink had dried, we began picking out blobs that we could link together to create stick figures. I really enjoyed this exercise so I continued experimenting with ink patterns at home and tried out different coloured inks on different paper to vary the patterns. I also experimented with watering the paper before I splattered the ink on, and thought the results were really pretty.
Green ink on water-colour paper after I've added water

Purple ink on hand made paper after I added water

I was really excited when I started to see recognisable shapes, especially with the ink experiments which I'd added water to. The green ink on water-colour paper which I'd added water to really reminded me of coral reef.  Although they were not intended to resemble any particular form, the ink drawings reminded me of Antony Gormely's drawings.



The two ink drawings above (Body XV and Body XII) are simple yet capture the essential shape and movement of the body. Gormley's technique of wetting the page before he adds ink also makes the forms organic in appearance. These drawings are completely relevant to my exploration of amorphous shapes as in isolation, the ink dots do not have a clear form, yet together they resemble a human like form.

No comments:

Post a Comment