Monday 16 January 2012

Start of Project - Amorphous Shapes

This lesson we began looking at amorphous shapes (shapes lacking definite form) and as an exercise, we created our own dot to dot image by splattering red ink on a white piece of paper. Dot to dot images are normally puzzles, with the dots numbered so you know where to trace your next line. But for this exercise, we had to search out dots which could connect to form a stick man figure. The result was figures that were out of proportion, but were also full of character and personality. 

The stick men figures I drew using dot to dot method

To extend the exercise, I also experimented with actual dot to dot puzzle books. Because I haven't owned a puzzle book for about 7 years and my sister is a little old for them (she's 15), I went to my local corner shop to ask if they stocked them. The guy serving me looked a little surprised and quickly left me searching for my puzzle book in the under 5's magazine aisle. But I soon found the PERFECT puzzle book with lots of great dot to dot puzzles!



After finding this gem of a puzzle book, I tried out a few of the puzzles and then began to play with the images and extend them and subvert the original image. For example, on puzzle number 38, when I joined the dots the image I created was of a figure in a long dress/robe with spiky hair. To make the image more exciting I gave the creature an ax in its right hand and drew a left arm holding a severed head. I was hoping to subvert the aim of the dot to dot book, which is to encourage children to discover fun images when connecting the dots. If a child happened to stumble upon this dot to dot image, they would probably be scarred and horrified. 


I was then drawn to the work of the Chapman brothers, whose recent exhibition at the V&A entitled 'My Giant Colouring Book' also endeavoured to subvert the innocence and  naivety of childhood by rendering simple colouring book and dot to dot images grotesque or strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment