Sunday 22 January 2012

Match Stick Men

This lesson we were looking at the figure and were looking at different ways of evoking the figure using simple and quick mark making techniques. Carrying on from finding stick men in amorphous shapes, the first exercise involved creating stick men out of matchsticks. We had ten minutes to create three different stick men in a number of different poses and by snapping the matchsticks, we were able to create identifiable figures. Then with a piece of newsprint, we took a large charcoal pencil and rubbed over the matchstick figures. The result was an A4 page of several different figures in a range of poses. While the exercise was simple and the process of creating the matchstick people and rubbing onto the newsprint did not require much thought, I found the concept behind the exercise interesting and was eager to continue playing with different ways of representing the figure in its essential, raw form.

Also eager to explore new mediums, I decided to try and create a stop motion animation with a matchstick figure. Although I don't have much experience with stop motion, I was still thinking about the matchstick figures I had created earlier in the day and how I could make them more life like. Thus, using a camera to take several dozen stills of a match stick person, I endeavoured to lend the figure another human dimension. I have posted my (not great but you get what I was trying to achieve) stop motion experiment below:

No comments:

Post a Comment